Xossip

Go Back Xossip > ChitChat> News, Reviews & Gossip > Apple admits they deliberately slow down old iPhones

Reply Free Video Chat with Indian Girls
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #41  
Old 3 Weeks Ago
samrocker's Avatar
In Search Of New Adventure
  Contest Organizer: Active organizing member of an ongoing contest    Councillor: Council Member    Silver Coins: Contributed $25-$100 for XP server fund      
Join Date: 10th February 2016
Location: :FFF: , THE SUNSHINE
Posts: 16,976
Rep Power: 27 Points: 11644
samrocker is one with the universesamrocker is one with the universesamrocker is one with the universesamrocker is one with the universesamrocker is one with the universesamrocker is one with the universesamrocker is one with the universesamrocker is one with the universesamrocker is one with the universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutpalm View Post
I will not dismiss your concerns about why software tweaking is necessary in the first place to address battery wear-and-tear.

I guess Apple tries to make the phone sleeker and slimmer, so they opt for non-removable batteries.

I think battery technology is a bottleneck in smartphones ... I have an Android phone with removable battery that I have to charge every day. I wish I only needed to charge it once a week.

But battery replacement on my Android phone is available from manufacturer from a much lower price compared to what Apple charges their customers. So even if the battery can no longer hold any charge, I have that option.
after replacing their batteries yet so many cases are found as of slowing older iphones
______________________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute_Angel2704 View Post
ek rootu av ke piche aur sab uske piche...


Reply With Quote
Have you seen the announcement yet?
  #42  
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Income Tax Officer's Avatar  
Join Date: 21st April 2010
Posts: 361
Rep Power: 19 Points: 171
Income Tax Officer is beginning to get noticed
coco anna ne daru pee li hai

Reply With Quote
Have you seen the announcement yet?
  #43  
Old 3 Weeks Ago
 
Join Date: 14th January 2014
Posts: 92
Rep Power: 10 Points: 241
Altimeter is beginning to get noticed
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutpalm View Post
I don't have an iPhone, and I am not sure if and why an iPhone slows down more than an Android phone. I am not in a position to do a comparison.

Android phones and iPhones have many similarities, both being smartphones. But they are not the exact same thing.

Maybe iPhones have thinner batteries? Maybe something to do with their design or processors? Maybe the processors in iPhones put greater demands on the battery? Who knows? It's a different design, so it'll come with its own features and anomalies.

It's not surprising that a phone would slow down after an year. There are many factors you can consider:

1.
Consider an analogy. If you install Windows 10 on a desktop that shipped preinstalled with Windows XP, will it work? Will it be slow?

So it is is with iOS upgrades (or Android upgrades). The newer OS is optimized for use with newer hardware. If iOS is upgraded from v9 to v10, maybe the older hardware feels slower with the newer OS? In some cases, the difference in performance may be so small as to be imperceptible. Other times, maybe you feel a distinct lag?

Also, maybe iOS gets more updates than Android? I have a tablet that came preinstalled with Android KitKat (v4.4.2). The OS was never updated after that (I manually checked system updates too). Maybe the manufacturer has a reason not to update it? I wouldn't know. But not updating the OS may prevent the device from slowing down, at the cost of not getting the new features/security updates that the newer versions of the OS bring?

2.
Similarly for apps.

An app may be designed for iOS 8 and iPhone 5 (some random example).

So v1 of the app is fast on iOS 8 and iPhone 5.

Then you have iOS 9 and iOS 10. OS on the phone gets upgraded. App may now be upgraded and optimized for use in iOS 10 and iPhone 7 (random example).

So it's no surprise if the app now feels slower on iPhone 5 ... whereas the initial version of the app may have felt faster on the older hardware/older OS.

The newer version of the app, which is optimized for newer hardware, may feel slower on the older phone.
You claim you don't know anything yet it never stopped you from writing long posts.

1. Apple iPhones have the similar CPUs as Android phones. All smartphones run chips based on ARM Architecture.

2. iPhone plus have 2900 Mah or there about battery which is the equivalent battery size of an average 5.2-5.5 inch Android phone. Battery tech is same.

3. iOS is famed for 'freezing' apps & games in the background. Native Android doesn't have this functionality. (Doze is different). Either you install Greenify or buy a Xiaomi, Huawei etc. So there goes your apps eating battery theory out of the window.

4. The only specification where iPhones lag behind Android is RAM but even the latest iPhones have 3 GB in built and iOS' RAM management is miles ahead of Android. Android is just brute forcing RAM and battery capacity to fight it.

I have a notebook which came with Windows 7. I've upgraded it to Windows 10. The laptop hasn't slowed down a bit. Similarly there are loads of people still quite happy with their old Nexus phones running the latest Oreo & still running at similar speeds as they first took them out of the box. Why only Apple ?

If the App Developer optimizes the app for the new hardware, which will be a drop in ocean, rather than the majority of devices present than he has no business of being called an appp developer. There's a basic minimum threshold that the app has to have for smooth functioning and for that the app developer removes certain features which the old hardware anyway can't take advantage of. So your last theory is aldo debunked.

Last edited by Altimeter : 3 Weeks Ago at 01:19 PM.

Reply With Quote
Have you seen the announcement yet?
  #44  
Old 3 Weeks Ago
coconutpalm's Avatar
www.FilesFlash.net
 
Join Date: 10th April 2006
Location: Aruba
Posts: 25,986
Rep Power: 58 Points: 11526
coconutpalm is one with the universecoconutpalm is one with the universecoconutpalm is one with the universecoconutpalm is one with the universecoconutpalm is one with the universecoconutpalm is one with the universecoconutpalm is one with the universecoconutpalm is one with the universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altimeter View Post
You claim you don't know anything yet it never stopped you from writing long posts.

1. Apple iPhones have the similar CPUs as Android phones. All smartphones run chips based on ARM Architecture.

2. iPhone plus have 2900 Mah or there about battery which is the equivalent battery size of an average 5.2-5.5 inch Android phone. Battery tech is same.

3. iOS is famed for 'freezing' apps & games in the background. Native Android doesn't have this functionality. (Doze is different). Either you install Greenify or buy a Xiaomi, Huawei etc. So there goes your apps eating battery theory out of the window.

4. The only specification where iPhones lag behind Android is RAM but even the latest iPhones have 3 GB in built and iOS' RAM management is miles ahead of Android. Android is just brute forcing RAM and battery capacity to fight it.

I have a notebook which came with Windows 7. I've upgraded it to Windows 10. The laptop hasn't slowed down a bit. Similarly there are loads of people still quite happy with their old Nexus phones running the latest Oreo & still running at similar speeds as they first took them out of the box. Why only Apple ?

If the App Developer optimizes the app for the new hardware, which will be a drop in ocean, rather than the majority of devices present than he has no business of being called an appp developer. There's a basic minimum threshold that the app has to have for smooth functioning and for that the app developer removes certain features which the old hardware anyway can't take advantage of. So your last theory is aldo debunked.
OK ... theory debunked, according to you.

So, according to you, what is the answer to the question you have posed above, i.e., "Why only Apple"?

Quote:
Similarly there are loads of people still quite happy with their old Nexus phones running the latest Oreo & still running at similar speeds as they first took them out of the box. Why only Apple ?
______________________________

Reply With Quote
Have you seen the announcement yet?
  #45  
Old 3 Weeks Ago
2dead2's Avatar
Let the dead rest in peace!
Visit my website
  Co-administrator: Co-administrator of Xossip    Bigg Boss: XP's Bigg Boss Contest    Super Selector: xp Super Selector Contest    Betting Badshah: Winner    Mr Xossip: Mr XP Contest Winner    Soccer WC: Soccer World Cup Contest    Silver Coins: Contributed $25-$100 for XP server fund      
Join Date: 19th April 2005
Location: uganda
Posts: 100,178
Rep Power: 222 Points: 129205
2dead2 has hacked the reps database2dead2 has hacked the reps database2dead2 has hacked the reps database2dead2 has hacked the reps database2dead2 has hacked the reps database2dead2 has hacked the reps database2dead2 has hacked the reps database2dead2 has hacked the reps database2dead2 has hacked the reps database2dead2 has hacked the reps database2dead2 has hacked the reps database2dead2 has hacked the reps database2dead2 has hacked the reps database2dead2 has hacked the reps database
never used an apple so cant comment , but i feel android guys also do the same.
I have a 6GB ram OnePlus 3T and had a chance to play with my friends new OnePlus5. To my dismay i found my anyways super duper fast 3T slower than 5

maybe its coz of the soc, 821 vs 835 but i doubt that.
______________________________
Disclaimer : The views and ideas expressed in this post are entirely mine and if you have a problem with it , shut the fuck up

Reply With Quote
Have you seen the announcement yet?
  #46  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
 
Join Date: 14th January 2014
Posts: 92
Rep Power: 10 Points: 241
Altimeter is beginning to get noticed
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutpalm View Post
OK ... theory debunked, according to you.

So, according to you, what is the answer to the question you have posed above, i.e., "Why only Apple"?
Everyone is getting confused. If Apple had said that due to the iOS updates the SoC and RAM can't cope up with it and that's why the phones have become slower, I would have understood. But, No. What Apple did was they accepted that when the battery loses 20% of it's capacity, Apple throttles the SoC so that the battery life is not affected. As the battery degrades further, the SoC becomes slower. Apple even doesn't allow a simple battery replacement which would make the old phone as speedy as a new one.

They could have put this out in open, they didn't. They could have given the user the choice to accept it via a toggle, Good luck with that.

What gets me worked up is that not only Apple claims they know what's best for me and my phone more than me, but they are also degrading the whole iPhone experience after 1 year to force me to upgrade to a newer model by slowing my phone down. Where will this greed end ? Apple knows iSheep will still buy iPhones.

So to answer your (& mine) question, Why does only Apple do it ? Because they know they will get away with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dead2 View Post
never used an apple so cant comment , but i feel android guys also do the same.
I have a 6GB ram OnePlus 3T and had a chance to play with my friends new OnePlus5. To my dismay i found my anyways super duper fast 3T slower than 5

maybe its coz of the soc, 821 vs 835 but i doubt that.
835 >> 821

821 is only Quad Core while 835 is Octa Core. Gerkbench score of 821 is around 4300 while of 835 is 6500. Also OP5 has very fast animations and transitions which also cement the impression of a faster phone. Should be a mixture of both.

Just to rub more salt in the wounds, Gerkbench of iPhone X (A11 Bionic) is around 10,000. What use is this when after 1 year Apple will throttle it and slow it down ?

Last edited by Altimeter : 2 Weeks Ago at 04:49 PM.

Reply With Quote
Have you seen the announcement yet?
  #47  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
AshikaVyas's Avatar  
Join Date: 27th December 2017
Location: Inurliffuckinit
Posts: 71
Rep Power: 1 Points: 74
AshikaVyas is beginning to get noticed
So much for owning an I phone▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一

Reply With Quote
Have you seen the announcement yet?
  #48  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Thermometer's Avatar
Evanescent
 
Join Date: 17th April 2011
Posts: 45,864
Rep Power: 55 Points: 4745
Thermometer is hunted by the papparaziThermometer is hunted by the papparaziThermometer is hunted by the papparaziThermometer is hunted by the papparaziThermometer is hunted by the papparazi
Fair enough, Apple slows systems which lack full battery capacity to protect against unexpected shutdowns. This should have been disclosed, hence people are suing.

Non removable batteries are an innovation towards slimmer water proof phones and that is something Apple should not receive flak for.

"They could have given the user the choice to accept it via a toggle," - In no world, Windows or Apple is this possible. Maybe in Linux.
______________________________

Banned and unbanned four times for no reason at all.

An existing proof of abuse of power by moderators.

Reply With Quote
Have you seen the announcement yet?
  #49  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
 
Join Date: 14th January 2014
Posts: 92
Rep Power: 10 Points: 241
Altimeter is beginning to get noticed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermometer View Post
"They could have given the user the choice to accept it via a toggle," - In no world, Windows or Apple is this possible. Maybe in Linux.
It already is. It's known as the Power Saving Mode in mobiles and Battery mode in notebooks. Most SoCs feature this mode where the Peak Frequency is dialed back to keep the power draw in check. Further the CPU and/or GPU can't go to higher states and are tied to the lowest state. Some even disable some cores to save battery life. Some even switch off the High Performance Cores (A15/A73).

All I'm saying is Apple should have given the customer the choice (via toggle, acceptance button or any other mode) when it enabled the throttling. If the customers wanted throttling great if not their choice. But for Apple Customer was never the King.

Over and Out.

Last edited by Altimeter : 2 Weeks Ago at 10:37 PM.

Reply With Quote
Have you seen the announcement yet?
  #50  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Thermometer's Avatar
Evanescent
 
Join Date: 17th April 2011
Posts: 45,864
Rep Power: 55 Points: 4745
Thermometer is hunted by the papparaziThermometer is hunted by the papparaziThermometer is hunted by the papparaziThermometer is hunted by the papparaziThermometer is hunted by the papparazi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altimeter View Post
It already is. It's known as the Power Saving Mode in mobiles and Battery mode in notebooks. Most SoCs feature this mode where the Peak Frequency is dialed back to keep the power draw in check. Further the CPU and/or GPU can't go to higher states and are tied to the lowest state. Some even disable some cores to save battery life. Some even switch off the High Performance Cores (A15/A73).

All I'm saying is Apple should have given the customer the choice (via toggle, acceptance button or any other mode) when it enabled the throttling. If the customers wanted throttling great if not their choice. But for Apple Customer was never the King.

Over and Out.
Umm, no. The power saving mode is not equivalent to what Apple is doing to prevent shutdowns due to peak demands on the battery.

Many elements work below the hood and are not available for tweaking in several OSes including Apple, Windows and Android.
______________________________

Banned and unbanned four times for no reason at all.

An existing proof of abuse of power by moderators.

Reply With Quote
Have you seen the announcement yet?
Reply Free Video Chat with Indian Girls


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:38 PM.
Page generated in 0.05348 seconds